Thursday, December 15, 2005

Back to Agincourt

So, I've got another order of supplies on the way, including some basic essentials, as well as a champagne corker, top flight stuff. This will make mead bottling a breeze from here on out. Although, I've got new stuff in the pipeline. But first, some status updates.

The Koelsch is doing well, only had one bottle so far. The cider (bottled the same time) is not exactly doing a stellar job carbonating, but its fruity, winey dryness is appealing both carbonated and uncarbonated. I had it last night with some Thai food, and wow, it went great. But I should let it lie for a good long time to reach its peak. The Tongue Splitter (American session IPA style) is quite good, but dwindling...it was a small batch. It is better fresh, anyway...hops tend to fade. So get in on that while you can, I tell 'e. I've still got one bottle of the ESB remaining, brewed in June. It's coming up on 6 months and is probably fading in its appeal to some extent. Still, I wanted to see what aging could do.

To do...I need to get up the courage to do something about my Double IPA...check the gravity, bottle it, whatever. Dramatically underattenuated, its very sweet and very hoppy. I'll probably bottle it anyway but thats a lot of work. This would be when Cornelius kegs would come in handy. My other issue with underattenuation is a mead destined to be a cherry melomel, but I'm hoping the issue is more one of me checking too early. Meads do take time, despite the magnificent performance of my first three batches. So I'll check it again in a week or so, and regardless, I'll rack it onto the cherries. Even if it gets stuck at 1.050, God forbid, that would make a very sweet and intersesting elixir. Apple juice is at 1.050, so it wouldn't be any sweeter than that. Again, we'll see how it goes.

With that out of the way, here are my plans. First off is St. Crispin's Agincourt Ale. This will be a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, a Quadrupel style, a rich, dark, strong ale in the tradition of Belgian Trappist monasteries. It is so named for various reasons. The Battle of Agincourt occurred in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France, in the Northeast of France just by the border of Belgium. It was the scene for the climax of Shakespeare's Henry V, and the location for the stirring St. Crispin's Day speech, from which this brewery's name was inspired. So it seemed appropriate, being something like a Franco-Belgian brew, in a sense. It will have continental European hops, sugars, and Belgian barley malts.

After that, eventually, my attempt at a dark braggot, a Black Braggot in the style of an Imperial Stout, will ensue. I'm buying the malt and hops for this now, the honey will be procured later. Should be a striking brew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home