Saturday, September 24, 2005

New Mead in the Primary

Another mead has been started. This one will end up being St. Crispin's Blackcurrant Mead, batch number 8. I used 2 gallons of water, 2 gallons of apple cider, and 1 gallon (12 lbs) of local clover honey. To add a nice tart acidity I added 1 cup of pure cranberry juice (not the diluted and sweetened cranberry juice cocktail). It is fermenting as we speak with a Côtes-du-Rhône strain of wine yeast, as with the previous mead. Technically this is a cyser right now, but I added the apple juice mainly for nutrients and a boost of gravity. When fermentation slows, this will be racked into secondary upon a bed of blackcurrants, where it will stay for some time, melding the flavours of a crisp honey wine with those of the potent blackcurrant. I saw a recipe for "blackcurrant wine" that was simply blackcurrants and 8-10 pounds of white sugar, but that seemed quite unpleasant to me. I'd rather add natural sugars, like juice, honey, malt, etc. That said, I have used brown sugar in two ales, but thats more for a nice caramel/molasses taste.

The clarifying agents appear to have worked marvelously with the barleywine...a thick yeast sediment, previous absent, now rests at the bottom of the carboy. I'm actually a bit worried the heavy yeast suspension could have thrown off the gravity reading, but I think that might be rather unlikely. It's going to be a sweet, thick, and rather strange barleywine, and I've come to accept it. It's a bit of a roll of the dice as to whether it will be worth the effort, but we'll see.

I've got to clean bottles to make ready for the Wee Heavy, that peat-smoked monster of an ale, as I don't know if I've got a lot of money for new bottles. That said, to the two guys who have been sampling St. Crispin's, if you've got empty 22oz bottles still, hang onto them as I can use them.

1 Comments:

Blogger SQLFunkateer said...

Aye, the 750ml Belgian style...I'm collecting them at least! It's going to take an expensive corker, expensive corks, and expensive wire cages, but if I ever do a big Trappist ale of some variety, that would be perfect. I've already got around ten of them.

Bottles to keep:
*16.9oz (pint) bottles, both the English shapes and the continental (German) shapes
*12oz bottles of interesting shape
*22oz bottles
*Wine bottles, if you like...I'm making mead too!

Bottles not to keep:
*Clear bottles and green bottles, unless the latter are particularly attractive looking. Amber/brown is best.
*Bottles with nasty "gunge" at the bottom from not being rinsed. Unless these are 22oz or 16oz or just really cool looking, they aren't worth the effort to scrub clean.
*12oz bottles of the standard longneck type...unless they are prescrubbed and soaked so the labels have come off, they are kind of boring looking and require a lot of effort to clean.
*Any twist off bottle. These will not work with recapping.

Hope the Ginger Porter was to your liking! It's starting to "meld" a bit more, it was a bit greener a week ago.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home