Friday, July 20, 2007

Rauchbier

I've stopped keeping this blog up, haven't I? Well, that's OK, because you've stopped reading it. Admit it.

That won't stop me from sharing a recipe that I think will prove to be one of my better creations:

St. Crispin's Rauchweizen

3 lbs German Munich malt
4 lbs German rauchmalt, or alder-smoked malt
4 lbs German wheat malt
1/3 lb rice hulls (for ease in sparging)

The above was mashed around 152 degrees F for 60 minutes, and I boiled the wort for 60 minutes, with only a single bittering hop addition of 1oz of Perle hops (6-7 percent alpha acid) at the 60 minute mark.

After it was cooled it was racked on a yeast cake of Wyeast Weihenstephaner weizen yeast. Original gravity is somewhere around 1.056, specific gravity around 1.014. It isn't bottled yet, but after a bit more yeast settles out it will be.

The richness of the Munich malt (which has a pleasing maltiness compared to other base malts), the spiciness of the yeast combined with wheat malt, and the savory smokiness of the rauchmalt make this one of the more appealing smoky beers I've ever tried. Honestly, it tastes like bacon beer. All hail the bacon beer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did this beer turn out??

10:21 AM  
Blogger SQLFunkateer said...

Fantastic, long since consumed. This is one of my better recipes.

I didn't get a chance to see how well it aged...I kept raiding the stash. As I said, the elements just balanced beautifully. Wheat, weizen yeast, sweet/malty munich malt, and smoke.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home