Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mash, Vorlauf, Lauter, Sparge

These are but a few of the great words I get to use as an all-grain brewer. The mash went well, overall, on Saturday. I hit slightly lower than expected temps for the mash, around 150 degrees. This will most likely result in a thinner, more fermentable ale, which is fine with me, as my extract brews of late have been finishing high in residual sugars, and I'd rather fancy a drier ferment. Mash efficiency wasn't great...probably 63 percent or so, but I ended up with 5 gallons (or slightly less) of 1.052 wort. It fermented heavily for two days, and has slowed considerably since then...I'm hoping it didn't "stick". It shouldn't have, I pitched plenty of yeast, mashed at lower temps, used yeast nutrient, and kept it relatively warm (high 60s). It will be a very hoppy (in an East Kent Goldings kind of way...it uses 3 ounces, plus an ounce of Target for bittering) and hopefully fruity Extra Special Bitter. I wish I could have increased efficiency and hit a higher gravity, but this will make a great session ale nonetheless.

I also pitched some EC-1118 (champagne) into my braggot, in an attempt to jump-start that ferment and finish it out a little bit drier. Right now it is far too high, in the 1.040-1.050 range as I recall.

I'm anticipating two ciders...first one in the mold of my earlier cider, except with a gallon of blackcurrant nectar, turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar, and T-58 yeast for a tiny Belgian kick. It will be known as "Cidre de Cassis". After that comes an interesting idea that may actually not be a cider at all...probably end up being a mead. 4.75 gallons (18 liters) of blackcurrant nectar, which has an OG estimated of about 1.067, and .25 gallons (1 liter or 3 pounds) of honey for a little extra gravity points. Pure blackcurrant goodness. My local grocery store is stocking the blackcurrant nectar so I am buying out their stock weekly! At 2.50 a liter it is reasonable, especially for one over which blackcurrants hold such merciless sway.

Not sure what to brew next...Oatmeal Stout? Something light, drinkable, easy going. An Oatmeal Stout, a Mild Ale, Brown Ale, even an Irish Red, perhaps. Another possibility, down the road, is a rye beer, possibly spiced with caraway. That will be an interesting experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home