Thursday, February 02, 2006

Honigweizen

Well, another brew is fermenting. This time, a "honigweizen", a not-so-traditional German wheat beer made with honey. I started with a basic ingredient list for a Bavarian-style hefeweizen, and amended it with a new yeast strain and added honey. Hopping is quite low, with only a single ounce of Tettnang added for bittering. The malt is approximately 65 percent wheat and 35 percent barley. In the last minute or two of the boil, I added 3 lbs of blueberry honey. Bear in mind that blueberry honey is not blueberry-flavoured honey, but just a variety depending on nectar source, like clover honey or orange blossom honey. I chose a Belgian ale strain, Fermentis T-58, for the yeast, instead of a traditional Bavarian wheat yeast. I'm hoping for some very interesting esters from the yeast strain, maybe a bit crazier even than the traditional weizen "banana and clove".

Also, another batch of cider will be coming soon, too. I'll have to empty some carboys (I foresee a bottling session in my future) but the cider will be a strong fortified cider with a rich dose of blackcurrants...found a stash of Looza blackcurrant nectar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home