Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Joy of Corking

I won't burden you with griping and complaints about the frustration, anger, and physical pain I endured as a direct result of using a Gilda handheld corker, but suffice to say I was kicking myself for not springing for the nicer floor corker. The cyser is corked, but it was no fun, let me tell you. I injured my wrist and almost broke the corker during the whole debacle. Next time I'll use a proper corker, even if it costs me another $100.

However, I'm excited about a few new projects. I still haven't racked my blackcurrant melomel...I'm in no hurry, and haven't gotten the blackcurrants yet. I want the primary to attenuate properly first. I did however make a great buy on five gallons of pasteurized apple cider (not from concentrate with no additives). I'm going to make an apple wine with this...hopefully using apple juice concentrates to raise the gravity, and with added cranberry juice for tartness. This will be uncarbonated, corked, and aged. And the plan still stands to brew two excessively hoppy ales. This weekend I'll probably order the ingredients. Additionally planned for this weekend...the bottling of the Wee Heavy. I fear it is underattenuated, but this winter a thick, full-bodied, and malty-sweet ale will hit the spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home